MARGINS Education and Outreach Program
In case of questions email the MARGINS Office.
The MARGINS Education and Outreach program aims to broadly communicate and enhance the impact of MARGINS science and research to the wider earth sciences community and general public. Education and outreach activites fall into two broad catagories: Resources, and Programs and Events.
Programs and Events
- The Distinguished Lectureship Program provides for up to eight MARGINS researchers each year to visit a broad range of colleges across the nation and present technical and public lectures focussed upon MARGINS research. The program is very popular, and colleges not normally associated with MARGINS research are encouraged to apply. This program has been in place since 2005.
- The annual MARGINS Student Prize for Outstanding Presentation at the Fall AGU Meeting, aims to motivate students on MARGINS-related
research. This program, running since 2003, rewards and highlights student presentations.
- The MARGINS student and community reception, an annual open event at the Fall AGU Meeting, provides a forum for MARGINS students and researchers as well as members of the broader community to mingle and chat with MARGINS steering committee members and NSF program managers. Annually, about 300 people attend the event.
- A broad range of workshops and meetings sponsored by MARGINS has attracted over 900 different scientists and range from mini-workshops to large Theoretical and Experimental Institutes.
- MARGINS research nuggets compiled as part of the 2009 Decadal Review documentation. These one-page summaries show the scale and scope of MARGINS-funded science and provide a view of today's knowledge.
- A wide variety of speaker presentations from MARGINS-sponsored workshops provide a valuable resource for educators at all levels looking for PowerPoint (tm) slides to augment their class material.
- The MARGINS newsletter contains current MARGINS news, reports and articles. Published twice yearly, the newsletter is mailed to about 1,300 recipients.
- The MARGINS Data Portal hosted by the Marine Geoscience
Data System at Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory provides convenient access to MARGINS data,
and with tools including GeoMapApp (view GeoMapApp webinar) and Virtual Ocean offers versatile data visualization and manipulation.
MARGINS Education Advisory Committee (MEAC):
The education and outreach initiative of MARGINS is coordinated by the MARGINS Education Advisory Committee (MEAC), which advises the Steering Committee.
Current MEAC members are:
Cathy A. Manduca, Carleton College, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Marshall, Cal State Pomona, email@example.com
Maggie Benoit, College of New Jersey, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosemary Hickey-Vargas, Florida International University, email@example.com
Andy Goodliffe, University of Alabama, firstname.lastname@example.org